Re: evaluations

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on January 04, 2002 at 12:35:06:

In Reply to: evaluations posted by Neil W. Dwyer on January 04, 2002 at 10:47:09:

Actually, I did give some thought to mouthpiece effect, so I took in two personal mouthpieces, a PT-48 and a PT-34. In my first go-around of the horns, I used the PT-48 exclusively. I did that for a few reasons: I have been playing the 48 almost exclusively for over a year, and I'm comfortable with it; also I was more interested in what horns I definitely DIDN'T want for reasons of ergonomics, or some glaring deficiency in the playing of the horn; and I know that the 48 has an easier low register than the 34. After this weed-out round, I was much more focussed on sound, projection, tuning, etc. This is where I tried both mouthpieces to see what effect there was. Also, the 56J ships with a Helleberg, which I have also used extensively, so there will be some lee-way when the horn arrives for mpc. experimentation.

I think that there is also a little bit of a "feeling-it-out" with the associates as to offering advice on mpc. selection. If I were a sales associate, I would definitely not give unsolicited mpc. advice to say, Norm Pearson. If he asks, then fine. But when a HS or first-year college student comes in and wants to plug their small-shank 24AW into a MW2155, then I think that some suggestions might need to be made. But you have to take that on a case-by-case basis. Also, I would hope that most young students would have their private instructor there if at all possible to provide guidance.

SD

Follow Ups: