Re: Re: Re: False Tones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on January 05, 2002 at 17:34:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: False Tones posted by Heather on January 05, 2002 at 14:37:24:

Eb as a false tone is not a Godgiven fact on Bb flat instruments. On trumpets, on smaller bore trombone, and on the Bb side of French horns the open false tone rather is an F.

I have not worked with false tones on my euph and on my bass bones, because I have sufficient valve tubing available there. But I have met an open low Eb on a 3 valve euph decades back.

Your problem first of all will be to determine the open false tone on your specifik combination of instrument and mouthpiece (the latter should not be too small anyway; a Bach 12C will not make things come easy in that low range). Try to find the open false tone. Take it to its optimum for sound and stability. Then compare it to the fingered notes in the range.

Is it closest to an F, to an E natural, or to an Eb? As false tones are more lipable than real notes, then practise the open false tone, so that it can be used at a note of your scale.

When the open false tone has been established, then you can work your way chromatically down from there.

A few weeks ago there was another false tones thread concerning a 3 valve Eb tuba. My hints about getting started actually have proven themselves helpful for private correspondents, so I will point to that posting through the link below.

But once more: get the open false note established as a usable musical entity before you go for the low C and B natural.

Klaus

Follow Ups: