Re: Re: Re: Who started on CC?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on January 08, 2002 at 00:45:55:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Who started on CC? posted by Art H on January 07, 2002 at 23:46:02:

The trumpet to Eb tuba transition-easening-trick is based on a somewhat coincidental similarity in placement of the noteheads on the staff lines.

Actually this trick involves some accidental-juggling, that rarely is explained during the process. Leading to a less than organised understanding of the relations between the written and the sounding aspects of music.

Players, that prefer CC instruments to easen up the transition from trumpet to tuba, most likely have played piano, so that they actually can read the bass clef on its own terms.

In my understanding of musical pedagogy, there are three elements, that should create the foundation for good musicianship:

a well thought out progression through simple to more complex rhytms involving the kids own body as well as percussion instruments (it is amazing which array of resonances the human body can provide. I have a good belly conga myself).

singing in a good choir, that strives to make the best out of sound, phrasing, rhythm, and intonation. All based on a good breathing technique. Elements of harmony and counterpoint should be incorporated. Even singing just in thirds and singing simple canons is furthering much understanding of music.

playing piano/keyboard on at least a level, that involves both treble and bass clefs. This is very good for understanding all aspects of music. And it makes reading in all contexts so much easier.

Did I get this foundation myself? Only partially. The driving force behind, the selection of activities I was allowed to attend, was one single factor: the snobbery of my mother. That earned me just six months of piano lessons, when I was 10. Then these lessons were cut off because, they were no longer convenient in her grand picture.

Those lessons have taken me nowhere as a pianist. But they gave the ability to read music. An ability which I could develop on my own hand by building a collection of records and pocket scores. And using any music library I came close to.

This might be a diverting of the original thread, but I took this opportunity to urge you parents out there to let your kids have a good basic schooling in music.

Klaus

Follow Ups: