Re: Thoughts on switching horns good/bad

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc on January 13, 2002 at 21:44:20:

In Reply to: Thoughts on switching horns good/bad posted by Doug on January 13, 2002 at 21:06:57:

Many players go through periods similar to what you describe, in various degrees for various reasons. Stimulation of the mind and/or keeping the mind involved and focused is key to what we do. The muscles will do whatever the mind tells them. Switching horns can be expensive. If you have no other need for a CC, then you shouldn't buy on just for the mental challenge. There are many ways you can challenge yourself. The exercise you tried made a difference. I play BBb, CC, and F tubas, so I need something else. I try to read treble, alto, and tenor clefs to stay fluent in the clefs and to play some great music. Get some great string concertos. It challenges the mind, especially when I do it on three different horns. I have to stay focused. You used your imagination, and it worked. Use it again. Another thing I do strictly for fun is playing some favorite songs (country, big band, barbershop, etc.) in all twelve keys by ear. Instead of focusing on printed notes, I have to think about where the notes are. It's more of a diversion than a challenge, since I've played by ear all my life (much of my pay was earned that way). Still, you have to engage your brain. Just some of my thoughts. I wouldn't buy a new CC unless you just wanted one, or played in a situation where you felt you needed one. Maybe you should get a different BBb. No, I'll reserve comment on Mirafone (Ha Ha; I've owned two, so I have enough experience to know they are not for me.) Play long and prosper. Mirafone notwithstanding. (Just kidding)

Doc

Follow Ups: