Re: Thoughts on switching horns good/bad

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on January 14, 2002 at 13:23:09:

In Reply to: Thoughts on switching horns good/bad posted by Doug on January 13, 2002 at 21:06:57:

What makes a better musician is certainly up for grabs. Switch horns, add an F or Eb, add a 5th valve, heck, try a euphonium for awhile.

The only thing that makes you a better musician is the 4 to 6 inches between your ears. If you truly believe you become a better "musician" by switching horns, DO IT! A word of caution, that won't make you a better musician just a different technician.

You seem to be confused as to what makes you a musician. Your take seems to be that a challenge technically will make you a better musician. That's contrary to the "art" of music.

There was a reference to a profesional football player in another post. If the player knows the tackle technique better than anyone else in the history of football, is he the best tackle? Not if he can't run a 40 in less time than someone else. He will be just one more technician.

We have a bunch of people my wife calls "tuba jocks". Technically they are more proficient than I, but musically they don't compare. Some of them even have the "professional positions". Do I aspire to be like them? Not on your life. I want the art of music, the art of tuba playing to continue and not die with the technicians. In case I offended some of you, I'm sorry. It's just an opinion.

If you want to become a better musician, then study the music you play. Get more challenging music and "make" music with it. When my fingers and tongue do what I want without thinking about it, then I stand a chance of doing something musically. Until then, there is nothing but technique I can think about. If a conductor is telling me what to do musically, then my musical thinking is limited. Only in solo or small ensemble playing does one truly develop the fine art of "being a musician".

Follow Ups: