Re: Thoughts on switching horns good/bad

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark in Ohio on January 14, 2002 at 14:16:46:

In Reply to: Thoughts on switching horns good/bad posted by Doug on January 13, 2002 at 21:06:57:

Doug:

Sounds like you've discovered the positive effects of what Arnold Jacobs Called "strangeness". No, no being looney, but the idea of introducing something new into your routine as a means of heightening your senses, and bringing into play brain activities that would be closer to autopilot in the established routine.

I think many of us experienced this with mouthpiece changes. So often we go through a "honeymoon" phase with a new mouthpiece (strangeness). While there are real changes that take place in the sound, this is often the result of changes that we unconsciously make when getting used to it.

I underwent a "rebirth" after selling my large bore CC Several years ago, not playing tuba at all for two years, and then purchased a three valve, small bore lil' 12J Conn BBb (funds dictated this choice) My playing may end up better than it ever was, because I got away from all the old habits AND The equipment that I developed them on. Back when I was on my CC, I hated horns like the one I have now, And had snobbish thoughts of those who used 'em.

I think my tone concept and range is better now than before, and on a much lesser horn! I've been playing false tones for a couple years now, and folks are looking for that hidden fourth valve.! It's been a neat journey.

While I miss playing CC, I've been developing some needed skills that I can "take with me" to whatever horn(s) I end up with. (First draft of my York reconstruction due this month!)

Try playing in a brass band sometime - all treble clef, Change mouthpieces, or play the Eefer parts, or play the 1st Tuba in a Tuba-Euph 4tet.

Or buy a CC. Just beware of the Honeymoon effect. No harm in learning a new axe, though.

Mark - 'sorry for the ramble - Mazak

Follow Ups: