Re: New Mouthpiece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Billy M. on January 15, 2002 at 00:10:44:

In Reply to: New Mouthpiece posted by Kyle on January 14, 2002 at 18:35:36:

You're right in your researching... the Conn Helleberg IS a good mouthpiece. To find a Conn Helleberg, you might need to find out if the local music dealer deals in UMI products. If so, there's a pretty good chance he can get you a Conn Helleberg as soon he can. As for the Bach and Schilke Helleberg.... I believe that each mouthpiece maker makes a copy of the coveted design that August Helleberg made those many years ago. I believe Conn found out about this and decided to make a mouthpiece for him and stamped his name on it because it was his design. However, that mouthpiece is not that same as today's Conn Helleberg. The ones of the 1920s has a smaller cup than the one of today. The Conn Helleberg 7B is a lil closer to the original cup size made back then.

I personally use the Schilke 66. Ren Schilke's wife played tuba and in fact played a Conn Helleberg (1920s model). She enjoyed it so much she took it to good ol' hubby and told him to make a copy of it. So he made a copy of it that was very much like the C-H, down to the very hundredth of a millimeter. One of the differences I've noticed between the two mouthpieces is that the 66 weighs more than the Conn Helleberg and I think that a plus because it certainly filled out my lower range and made my higher range more sonorous. (But then again... it was practice too... ) ; )

I used a Bach 24AW a few years back and when I went to the Schilke there was no looking back... I hate it with a vengence now. :: chuckles sinisterly :: So my vote is in that you try out the Schilke 66.

Hope this helps...

Billy (Bach makes a Helleberg?!?!) M.

Follow Ups: