Re: Re: Tuba Bashing - A reminder...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on January 16, 2002 at 23:39:05:

In Reply to: Re: Tuba Bashing - A reminder... posted by ken k on January 16, 2002 at 22:15:43:

The Canadian Brass have done Ewald and Arnold type CD's along with everything else. They keep coming out with "new" ideas because you have too to stay ahead in the popular culture. Consumers get bored easily and need change in order to get them excited again. Look at Madonna for a prime example.

I would probably enjoy listening to a more "serious" chamber concert put on by the Canadian Brass, but it would not likely sellout in Topeka, KS. It is a business when it all boils down to it, if you want to make good money at it. Some might call it selling out. Others might call it shrewd.

I would be the first person in line to purchase a new CD of Pat Sheridan playing the Bach Cello Suites on tuba. Recording all 6 on a single recording is sort of a rights of passage for cellists and some other instruments. Will it sell as well as "CakeHead"? I don't think so.

Discrimination of any type can take a long time to break. It took 100 years for the civil rights movement to start. Of course tubists aren't slaves, or being denied sufrage, but there is still a glass ceiling that the ticket/cd buying public is not yet educated/trained enough to break.

Brass quintets 50 years ago were thought a novelty and would never be profitable. 10 years ago no one could image make a good living solely as a solo tubist. Well, maybe one guy did.

sean

Follow Ups: