Re: Hindemith translation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Allen on January 17, 2002 at 11:17:48:

In Reply to: Hindemith translation posted by Steve Dedman on January 15, 2002 at 10:24:54:

With all due respect to the other translations offered here - when you look at the piano part the first thing you will notice is that the time signature is different than the tuba part throughout, right up to the scherzando.

Hindemith is letting the tuba player know that the 5/4 bar indicated is an approximate mathematical translation of the 7/8 bar in the piano part. I would amend Klaus' translation to "approximate indication of meter (not tempo)."

As far as recordings go - the Gould/Torchinsky recording was the first commercially released performance of the Sonata. This was until recently, available only on LP. RCA has recently reissued many of the early Hindemith recordings on CD. Well worth the purchase, if only for the historical importance of the recording. There is a new recording on the horizon by Sam Pilafian and David Korevaar (professor of piano - University of Colorado). David recently informed me of the pending release (recorded approximately 2 years ago now) of this recording along with the other Hindemith brass sonatas (I can't remember at the moment the brass artists on the other sonatas).

Other recordings (I am sure I have missed a few - apologies in advance):

Baadsvik, Oeystein: Oeystein Baadsvil
SIMAX PSC 1101
Bobo, Roger: Bobissimo! The Best of Roger Bobo
Crystal Records, Inc. CD125
Fletcher, John: Le Tuba Enchantee (a favorite)
King Record K28C-65
Lind, Michael: Hindemith Chamber Music (also a favorite)
BIS CD-159
Pokorny, Eugene: Hindemith Complete Brass Works
Summit Records DCD 115

Michael Allen
Professor of Tuba & Euphonium
University of Colorado at Boulder
(303) 492-5261
michael.allen(AT)colorado.edu

Follow Ups: