Re: Re: Rudy Meinl CCC Piston

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ron Lapinski on January 22, 2002 at 00:25:18:

In Reply to: Re: Rudy Meinl CCC Piston posted by Sam Gnagey on January 21, 2002 at 17:23:31:

Interesting that you would say that the Rudy CCC is built after a horn from the 1920's. When I purchased my Hirsbrunner CC from Bob Tucci back in 1990, he told me that it was designed after a 1920's Conn Tuba he owned. After lunch he pedaled the Conn from his home over to the shop on his bike, then demonstrated it alongside the Hirsbrunner, intending to show that the Hirsbrunner tuba sound was based on the sound of the Conn. By the way, Bob's playing is incredibly beautiful - he played scales, arpeggios and Wagner licks on different horns for me for about a half hour, and never nicked a single note - all with awesome sound!!!

Having not tried the Rudy myself, I wonder if it has some of the same issues in the lower register and with intonation that a number of guys find with some of the Hirsbrunners, if indeed they are modeled after the same Conn. Or would these issues not applicable in the case of the Rudy? Anyone care to share any experiences on this?

Ron Lapinski
hvbrass(AT)aol.com

Follow Ups: