Re: Matt W., your AGR...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by F Tubist on January 22, 2002 at 10:40:22:

In Reply to: Matt W., your AGR... posted by perennial poster on January 22, 2002 at 00:55:16:

I recently had an AGR installed on my 822 F tuba. This model horn has the "french horn" style leadpipe you describe. Much like a trombone, the mouthpiece sits inside the leadpipe, reaching somewhere close to the venturi, or narrowest point of the pipe. Anyway, it had to be irrevocably chopped off in order to install the AGR. Matt recommended trying the AGR on this horn because 1)This model instrument has a track record of benefiting from an AGR, and 2) because it would be pretty easy to undo the procedure by either installing a new leadpipe (easily obtained from Yamaha) or putting on a receiver from the 321 series of horn, which would sit on the end of the chopped off leadpipe. At first, I didn't like the AGR, because I couldn't find a setting that I liked. After diailing it almost all the way in, and returning to a mouthpiece I had previously used on this horn, I found a little of what I was looking for...a bigger sound in the low register (between Bb and F below the staff)while maintaining a clear upper register. However, for me, it wasn't the miracle cure-all described by Kelly O'Bryant. Your mileage WILL vary!

Follow Ups: