Re: Re: BLAST!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on January 22, 2002 at 14:34:07:

In Reply to: Re: BLAST! posted by Austin H. on January 21, 2002 at 23:33:36:

Hello to all:

Just my two cents, but I think that DCI marching "crap" is great!! It is because of this medium of performance that I first became interested in music and eventually found myself here at Eastman. I was never exposed to the orchestra setting while back home and would have never found the tuba had it not been for marching band. I personally think that any exposure, especially televised, that we as musicians can be given is crucial to the future of our art. More people see the DCI finals on PBS than go to concerts in major orchestra halls, whether flipping channels or genuine watching. I say that anything exposing the next generation of paying listeners to music, on or off the field, can do nothing but offer more money for us to live off of as professional musicians. Not to open a can of worms, but I wish people would hold this art in higher esteem, especially considering the lack of interest that the general public has in "proper" music.

Brad "probably should have been practicing instead of writing on the forum" Martin

Follow Ups: