My Trip to Dillon...a pleasure as always

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Mordhorst on January 22, 2002 at 19:25:14:

Hey Gang,

I'd first like to thank Matt Walters at Dillon Music for another great experience!

So, these past couple weeks i've been thinking of ways to "lighten up" my Meinl Weston 20 BBb. I've inquired about the AGR's, etc... And then I decided that I should just take a trip out to Dillon Music and try a few Tubas out.

I got there, and as always, was greeted by the Dillon Crew, and Matt. The first tuba that I picked up was a new Satin Silver King 2341. It played very well, but I took my time and tried a few others. But I kept going back to the King 2341. At this point I narrowed my decision down to 3 tubas -- 3 new Satin Silver King 2341's. ;-)

Two of them played very well, and so I narrowed it down to just those 2. Matt was so kind as to tweak them up a bit, and I played them again. One kept sticking out as a better horn. So, that's the one that I picked.

When I got home, the real testing started. First let me say that this Tuba is amazing. The thing that impressed me most was the intonation. I played it with a tuner, and every single note, from FF to f' was within' 10 cents of being perfectly in tune. Most, in the exception of like 2 notes, were perfect. And this was without any slide manipulation whatsoever. It's sound is just really good. A very warm, yet not wimpy sound. It can knock down walls, or sing a baby to sleep.

I also tried out a few C tubas while I was there. The Conn 52J and 56J tubas, the MW 2145, 2155, and 2000. Nothing really impressed me that much, as to switch over to C.

So I repeat, the new King 2341 is a great horn. I would strongly suggest that you all go out and try one. If you have any questions regarging this tuba, i'll try to answer them.

BTW, my MW20, which many people on this board really like, and have wanted to buy is now at Dillon Music. ;-)

Musically yours,
Dan "proud owner of a new Satin Silver King 2341" Mordhorst

Follow Ups: