Re: Besson 983 Eb Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on January 26, 2002 at 10:37:10:

In Reply to: Besson 983 Eb Question posted by 983 Owner on January 26, 2002 at 08:43:51:

The 983 I used to own played very well for me with the PT-72. That was my main mpc for that horn, and it really helped the articulation in the compensating low register.

Mine was well in tune with most (all?) slides a little way out, including the main slide. However, I didn't have to pull any of them more than probably an inch max.

I just looked at a photo of my old 983 -- trimming the main slide looks tough. The big issue is that the two "inner tube" ends of the "U" shaped main tuning slide don't fit up into the mating tubes very far anyway. If you trim the two tubes that the tuning slide fits INTO, then you may also have to trim the "inner tube" ends of the tuning slide as well, which will result in even less tubing inside, and an increased risk of the main slide simply falling out due to gravity (when combined with a quick, aggressive valve oiling just before an outdoor concert on a warm-ish day, I guarantee that you can give gravity a significant boost in this regard . . . .).

Good luck,

Steve "only a small ding in the main slide from that incident" Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: