Re: what was the first horn you played?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on January 26, 2002 at 12:26:38:

In Reply to: what was the first horn you played? posted by Mark F. on January 26, 2002 at 00:32:38:

Started out in 6th grade on a Yamaha 201 euph. Halfway through the year got a 103 to take home for practice. First tuba i ever played more than 3 seconds on. Next day I got to use the school's 201 in class and at concerts. I still for some reason think these three horns are some of the finest instruments in the world. Go figure.

8th to 9th grade got a silver King Sousaphone for marching band. I have since spent hours upon hours upon hours of work on that sucker turning it into a lean mean playing machine (groan). For concert work in 9th grade i went between an old Yamaha 321 and a 641 depending on the mood of our section leader (any "old school" poster on this board might remember my complaining about that situation). Mid 10th grade got my own Mirafone (with an "F") 186, my dream horn. Still have it, still use it.

I dont want to start a fight, but i got to play a St. Pete for a few minutes in 9th grade that a local middle school had bought. The BD kept saying it played funny on the E, A, G, and D. Well, quick look and listen found the problem. The 2nd valve slide tubing was an oval shape, while the slide was round. Needless to say, we had, air, spit and everything else coming out like crazy.

I also got to honk on a CB-50 and some Cerveny horn a few weeks ago. Liked 'em both.

Doug

Follow Ups: