Re: valve set surgery

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daniel C. Oberloh on January 01, 2003 at 17:47:18:

In Reply to: valve set surgery posted by Dave on January 01, 2003 at 02:59:13:

The project you are planning to undertake is much more complicated then you really know. The pitfalls are substantial in number. The spacer braces are hard soldered in place at such a high temperature that the silver solder material is fused into the casing metal, not just stuck on. You will do best to cut the spacers and the port between the two casings with a narrow blade jeweler's saw. Make a narrow ferrule to connect the two casings' ports, cut away the remaining half of the spacer braces, file this area smooth and finally, make a new set of spacers and solder them in place using a low temp. silver bearing solder. I am making this suggestion because silver brazing /soldering is not a skill you pick up in a few minutes of screwing around in the garage. I have performed this kind of work a number of times so let me assure you it can be done and done well but there is much, much more that you will need to understand before you will be able to do this project in a manner that will allow it to look as well as I am sure you desire. If you want to discuss this in more detail, feel free to call me at my business and I'll gladly go over the details with you. Good luck! And be careful.
Best regards,
Daniel C. Oberloh
Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Works
www.oberloh.com
206-241-5767

Follow Ups: