Re: Re: Whisper Tone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ross on January 01, 2003 at 18:38:57:

In Reply to: Re: Whisper Tone posted by Adam Peck on January 01, 2003 at 16:13:06:

Hi Adam,
Thanks for the response. The whisper tone I am speaking of isn't even a pianissimo. It's hardly audible. Kind of like a very soft attack with a soft echo of the note going through the horn, which originated with the lips being at just the right tension to sound the pitch. And I don't believe it's easily sustainable, as in a long sustained sound. It's kind of like the practice I mentioned of good flute players doing when using a whisper tone. The flutes have a soft breathy sound while doing this and the click of their key pads is more noticable. With a tuba, it's not even a sound like you would get with a mute. And you can barely hear it beyond a few feet away. I don't think it would be advisable to use in concert, it's so soft. It's merely a gimmick I use to quietly make sure I'm getting something right while the others in the small groups I play in are hashing something over during rehearsals. And I've been using this technique for so long, I'm not even sure exactly how I do it. Does that make sense?
Sincerely, Ross

Follow Ups: