Re: I would like a reality check...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on January 02, 2003 at 06:37:52:

In Reply to: I would like a reality check... posted by tubist on January 02, 2003 at 02:49:26:

This may not be what you want to hear, but if you want to make it to the top, you're going to need un-ending peristance, combined with either a tremendous amount of talent, and/or a bit of luck. I didn't make it to the top, but neither do I regret it. So far, I've done much of what I've wanted to do. My goal, prior to now, was to perform ALL of the Mahler symphonies. I realized that goal via a community orchestra on the S.F. peninsula, as there are many lower level professional groups that never get around to doing that. I was happier doing this, than commuting many hours after work to get to rehearsals of the Monterey Symphony doing Dvorak 9th, for example. But your question wasn't about me.

Friends of mine who HAVE made it, were extrmely driven and perstistant. They also are talented players, obviously. While their stories can't hurt you in any way, I'm not sure that hearing about all the pitfalls of auditions, etc., is a real good way to motivate yourself. Just realize that if you want to "make it", you simply can not allow any obstacle to stand in your way - period. Think of it as being your destiny. Good luck.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: