Re: German Brass on 12/22/02

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill Troiano on January 03, 2003 at 12:02:46:

In Reply to: German Brass on 12/22/02 posted by Christian on January 02, 2003 at 20:48:48:

I was there with my family. We've gone the past few years. They opt to attend this brass concert rather than attend the Radio City show as we did when they were younger. The German Brass is an amazing ens., and the NY Phil Quintet is outstanding too. It was interesting how the 10 piece ens. performed standing. Walter Hilgers used a stand and switched between horns, sometimes within the same piece, producing some very nice tone changes. He played on a Melton 6 valve F and a large BBb. He also used a 4 valve sousaphone and a contra bass tbn. Kyle Turner also sounded excellent on his Conn 54J. I got to meet him briefly during their photo seesion on stage after the concert.
For those in the NY area, the NY Phil Brass performs a holiday concert every year in Dec., featuring various brass ens., such as: Canadian Brass and Empire. This was the first year that they featured the German Brass. Check the NY phil web site to find next year's date at www.newyorkphilharmonic.org. Take care and happy new year to all!

Follow Ups: