Re: Required 5th valve on CC?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark F. on January 06, 2003 at 01:35:33:

In Reply to: Required 5th valve on CC? posted by Mark K on January 06, 2003 at 00:42:46:

I play a four valve CC tuba every day of my life, and have only played 4 valve CC tubas for the last 14 years. If you find a good one, it is very workable. My Low F is only a little flat 1-2-4, and I naturally center it. E natural is perfect 2-3-4, and E flat is good 1-3-4 with the first valve pulled a lot. D is the worse note, but is I have time to prepare for it, I can pull all four slides and lip a little and get it. Low Dbis actually a really nice note on my horn. Pedal CC can usually be lipped that 1/2 step, and the sound is 80% of what is would be with a 5 valve horn. THey may sound like a lot, but I can't ever remember actually being asked to play a low Db. I did build slide extenders for my 4th valve just in case something comes up, but I have never had to use them. If they were the same price, I would pick a horn that had a 5th valve, but I wouldn't turn down a great horn because it didn't have it. I could have added a 5th valve to my horn at any time, but I haven't thought of a way to do it without risking changing the way the horn plays.

Follow Ups: