Re: Re: lookin to add on to the family

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paul on January 06, 2003 at 17:32:01:

In Reply to: Re: lookin to add on to the family posted by What's the dif--- on January 06, 2003 at 16:35:37:

Well, that is a great question. I'm old enough now to say this, so here goes. I'm sure that 50% of the sound question is personal feel and mind games. I've always been taught (and now teach) that if you're good, you can make a garbage can sound like a musical instrument. To me and many of the players and teachers I have worked with, the Alex tends to sound just a bit 'darker' and perhaps a has a bit more presence. The way I play, the Miraphone responds quicker and is easier to center pitches on. Perhaps a bit 'tighter'. Most Miraphones I've played (and heard) just seem to lack some of the color and depth that tha Alex gets. Now, when Bobo was cranking on his 188 back when, it sounded pretty damn good. But I know for some of us mere mortals, I like the horn to do a little of the work for me. Sound on instruments is like deciding on good art. What sound do you like? How do you describe a certain sound. I know that I can tell the difference between an Alex and a Hirsbrunner with my eyes shut (at least 8 out of 10). But it is so hard to define.

Does this make any sense to you out there? I'm sure we all have tuba 'sounds' we like better than others, even if it is mostly a mental game.

I could also be full of doodoo also.

What do you think?

Follow Ups: