Finlandia-WOW!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on January 06, 2003 at 22:55:31:

Let me go on record, I hate this piece. Sure it is fun to play the first 2 or 30 times, but after a while, well, yuck. When it comes on the radio I turn it off, I cringe when it comes up on a concert, you get the idea. Well, I heard a version on a radio I couldn't turn off tonight that has to be the LOUDEST version I have ever heard. First off, I didn't get the name, or rather couldn't get the name that the announcer spewed out, of the conductor. The orchestra sounded like the Latke Symphony Orchestra, Barry G. can probably clear that up. Someone must have told the tuba player to play hysterically loud, and he took it to heart. There isn't a note that isn't so out of balance as to approach it even being remotely musical. The passage starting on the low D near the end is truly a thing of beauty. LOUD is an understement. I was laughing so absurdly loud at the end, my wife thought I had finally, after many attempts, gone over the absolute deep end. If anyone can figure out who the orchestra is, buy the cd for this cut and play it for your students as an example of how NOT to play in an orchestra. This was either the players 1st recording, last recording, or a recording made after they got incredibly lucky, or they got totally loopy on Finnish Jungle Juice before making it. Barry, can you shed any light on this?

Chuck

Follow Ups: