Re: Mouthpiece Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 07, 2003 at 08:30:38:

In Reply to: Mouthpiece Question posted by BPE on January 07, 2003 at 00:56:01:

I tried the Bach Megatone series because I was looking for a heavyweight version of the Bach 18, the main mouthpiece I use on my Rudy 4/4. I was very disappointed. I felt there was almost difference in the sounds I could achieve with a Megatone 18 versus the standard model. My personal feeling is that they didn't use enough mass but that's just my opinion.

By contrast, I did a similar experiment comparing a standard Conn Helleberg to an R&S Helleberg Heavyweight, two mouthpieces that purported to have the same interior dimensions. In that comparison, the difference in sound was instantly apparent.

I began trying to find somebody who would make a Bach 18 mouthpiece with something closer to the amount of mass on it that the R&S line of heavyweight mouthpieces uses. Mike Finn stepped in and produced that mouthpiece, an MF-2. This is now my main mouthpiece on my Rudy 4/4. If you really like a Bach style cup and a heavyweight design that seems to make a difference, I suggest you start with an MF-2. Good luck!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: