Mirafone 188CC tuba for sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brendan Bohnhorst on January 09, 2003 at 19:49:12:

I am selling my Mirafone 188-5U CC tuba. This is in my opinion a great all around tuba. I have used it in quintet up until I got my Alex F. I have played solos on it, and used it in a large orchestra and in bands ranging from 30-110 members.

The horn is in great shape overall. It does have a scar on the bell from a bell crease and only two dents on the bottom bow with some minor sratching there as well. The Bottom 5th valve slide has a small, small dent on it from being bumped off my music stand by a violist (go figure). The dent is on the curve of the slide and doesn't effect the sound at all. It is barly noticable unless you are looking.

The pitch on this Horn is great. The upper register is very good as well. Middle C is about 5-10 cents flat and easily lippable. I don't do any slide pulling except on a pedal Eb and a touch on low A below the staff. This tuba was one of the first from Mirafone with a flat whole step 5th valve. there are 2 slides on the 5th valve, an upper and a lower. It also has a first valve slide trigger for the left hand that was installed at the factory.

The sound of this horn is like no other Mirafone I have ever heard. It has a tone somewhat similar to a old Alex or a PT-6. There is a lot more color to the sound than most horns I've played. It has good response in all registers and has an even feel when being played.

I have a used but very functional Anvil flight case and an Alteri gig bag that will go with the horn. They are both in very good shape.

The price is $5500. If you any questions about it, just email me and I'll get back to as soon as I can. I will have pictures available early next week. I will post and/or email them to you upon request. The horn is in Grand Rapids, Michigan if you want to stop by and try it out.

Brendan Bohnhorst
tuba_tuba_tuba(AT)yahoo.com

Follow Ups: