Re: Re: Rotary "Old Man's Tuba"?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on January 09, 2003 at 20:14:19:

In Reply to: Re: Rotary "Old Man's Tuba"? posted by Matt G on January 09, 2003 at 15:58:08:

Interesting that both the Bell model King and the Mendoker Buescher have been brought into this thread. I spent the better part of the day yesterday at Dillon's getting my Alex F cleaned. Any job Matt does for me, even a routine maintenance with no complications, surpasses my expectations. But I had time to revisit the Buescher, which I've tried before, and the King. I don't know if they are necessarily OMTs. Bell, Torchinsky, and Novotny were in their prime when they aquired their estimable reputations on the King, and we're surely not ready to describe Scott as "old" are we?

I don't know why these horns are still there. Isn't there anyone out there who would give their eye teeth to have the type of tuba played by two generations of NYP principals, and of Philadelphia, each of whom put in their time with Toscanini and the NBC? The type of playing you can do on the King is not necessarily obsolete in this BAT dominated world. If you want a tighty focused sound, that ain't necessarily the biggest, though it is as full as your talent will allow, this King will give it to you. Think of it as an Alex with vintage American built-like-a-brick-you-know-what build quality.

For those who prefer the rounder "O" of the fully American vintage tuba, the Buescher will give you that, with rotary valves. Those who prefer rotaries for whatever reason should consider an instrument which isn't that big on paper but has been proven on the stages of two of our most high powered orchestras.

Neither one of these horns is a BAT, but I'm sure a man, or woman, of any age could play them comforatbly and effectively. It is also interesting to observe and hear that Kyle Turner keeps up easily with the NYP on his Conn whateverJ, which is no BAT. He's showing us that a clear and focused sound is loud enough.

Follow Ups: