Re: buying a tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on January 10, 2003 at 04:00:23:

In Reply to: buying a tuba posted by Titto on January 09, 2003 at 14:28:43:

Every euph and tuba I currently own came to me over the internet, unplayed and untested. I live a long way from any brass dealer with interesting horns (other than Tony Clement!).

That includes a Hirsbrunner euph, purchased new via email from a dealer in Switzerland, and several auction purchases over the last four years:
Conn double-bell euph,
Besson 955 English baritone,
King F alto horn,
King 4-valve euph,
King double-bell euph,
Alexander 164 BBb tuba,
Yamaha 621F tuba,
B&S BBb tuba and a
Willson Marzan euph, just purchased, not yet received.

I also bought and resold a Conn Connstellation euph, and plan to sell the B&S tuba. They
were the only purchases I was not happy with, and my point of view when buying is that if a horn has a good reputation, is in good condition, is something you find interesting and
the price is right, the risk is minimal, and the real cost of a mistake is just the effort required to relist it, after cleaning it and giving it a good description with good photos. That is the price of an education.

The Hirsbrunner I play in the San Jose Wind Symphony, and it is 100% satisfactory, and
has the best intonation of any instrument I have owned. The Yamaha 621F gets played in a brass quintet and occasional gigs, and is a wonderful instrument to double on for a euph player. Before buying either of these, I did my research and tried
horns that belonged to other musicians, looked for info on the internet, etc.

I'm also quite willing to take a horn with problems and get them fixed or fix them
myself, so part of my motivation for buying some horns is to get an interesting project.
The B&S fell into that category; it needed a lot of dent and solder work, so it was
a good opportunity to get started repairing instruments and gain some knowledge to help
with the next project.

I usually take the view that the mystique associated with instrument selection is misplaced. The real mystique comes with a long-term relationship, just like with
women. I owned an Alex euph for 30 years, and thought I would never part with it, but
when the Hirsbrunner arrived, the Alex got put away and eventually was sold. But
compared to the warmth and complexity of the Alex, the Hirsbrunner is precise and
predictable if somewhat boring, typically Swiss. I even wear white gloves when I
play it. I'm looking forward to the Willson Marzan euph, to see how I like the
inline valves, the tilt of the bell and the larger bore. If it doesn't work out,
I will resell it, and for me, that is a lot less risk and effort than making a full
day trip to Oakland, arranging to have DEG ship a new Marzan euph to Best Music, trying the horn and having to make a decision to buy it at full price.

The three King horns are a single project; the 4-valve double bell came with a lot of
damage, missing the small bell. The alto horn bell fits. The 4-valve is in super shape,
and is going to get the double-bell components grafted on to make a 5-valve with the
best workmanship I can produce.

The Alex 164 is also a project. I've ordered a new leadpipe and complete fifth valve
components from Alexander, and it seems to be a several month project just to get them
made. I get monthly emails describing the progress.

-Dave "who can never have enough projects" Erickson

Follow Ups: