Re: "who needs an ear, I got a TUNER!"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on January 10, 2003 at 12:27:48:

In Reply to: "who needs an ear, I got a TUNER!" posted by dp on January 10, 2003 at 10:27:13:

An electronic is Tuner an extremely vauable tool. However, it is no replacement for developing a good sense of pitch and listening skills.

I always have a tuner on (and clipped to the bell) during the tuning process and warm up when I play with a band. As the voice that the band uses as a foundation, I believe it is important that I present a consistent pitch. Also, since I have recently switched horns, it is nice to have my tuner verify what my ear is telling me.

The tuner is not God and does not mean that pitch can't be adjusted, but is does give a good baseline of information. After the group gets playing, I turn it off and rely on my ears... but even then I occasionally check notes that sound "off."

I suspect your Tuben player has the tuner clipped to his instrument because he doesn't play the instrument often enought to know its pitch tendencies. If he keeps it on after a rehearsal or two, perhaps he is misusing an other wise valuable tool.

Follow Ups: