Re: Re: Re: "who needs an ear, I got a TUNER!"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on January 10, 2003 at 13:55:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: "who needs an ear, I got a TUNER!" posted by GC on January 10, 2003 at 12:41:53:

I didn't make myself perfectly clear; I was too busy trying to be sarcastic. In my opinion, the tuner is for the practice room 99.9% of the time. Intonation is a constant comprimise and people listen to different things to determine if they are in tune. Just like when we tune in band to an oboe and then the people listen to the tubas for the pitch. But what about when we aren't playing? What if every one is in tune except for the tuba and the tuba is in tune with the tuner. What if the oboists tuner is set at A=443 at request of the director and yours is at A=440? What if the tuners tune A=440 differently (it does happen)?

I like the idea of the clip on mike to catch some of the sympathetic pitches coming off the bell, but those can be a little inaccurate also.

I personally like those old "StroboConn" (or whatever) tuners the best. They can do a very good job at tuning harmonic series and helping to play intervals in tune to a degree. There is also a good CD out that really concentrates on playing in tune, however, I cannot remember the name right now.

It is like I have heard from a lot of better conductors and players: If two people (in a performance situation) are out of tune who is right and who is wrong. They are both wrong and must meet each other where is sounds right/best.

Your right bands don't play in even tempermant. Thankfully!

If I saw a person sitting through a rehearsal with a tuner on the entire time, I would feel like it was an incredible waste of battery power.

Matt G

Follow Ups: