Re: auditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JC on January 14, 2003 at 16:52:40:

In Reply to: auditions posted by Tim on January 13, 2003 at 17:33:52:

Preparation is the key to any succesful audition or performance. In addition to what other folks have said (great advice), I like to remove any unknown quantities from my playing. For example: If you will be dressed up when you play, practice in your dress clothes, down to the socks and shoes. You don't want ANYTHING (outfit included) to feel strange when you are playing. Of course, you'll be in a new place in front of new people, but you want as many factors of the audition to be as close to "old hat" as possible.

If you have any idea of the type of spaces you'll be auditioning in, try to practice in some places that have similar acoustical properties. The room you're in may be unusually warm, so practice with a heavy coat on.

I've heard of all kinds of interesting methods to calm down before a performance: bananas, aspirin, chocolate, and some other less "family appropriate" things.

IMO, there is no substitute for a mock audition. Have some folks sit and listen. Go through all the motions of the audition as if it were the real thing, incorporating some of the things other folks have said. Play your whole program, top to bottom. The key to success is to be comfortable, and that comes with experience and preparation.

Best of luck,

-J

Follow Ups: