Re: Flatted-Whole-Step Fifth Valve

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 14, 2003 at 19:05:33:

In Reply to: Flatted-Whole-Step Fifth Valve posted by Brent Herhold on January 14, 2003 at 18:22:55:

I don't think you missed any evolution, you may have just worked in an area that wasn't as exposed to it. I can't say from any first-hand knowledge because I've never lived on the west coast (where your current email address shows you to be from), certainly not during the last 30+ years, but my understanding is that the Miraphone tubas were extremely popular there during the 70's through the early 80's. Perhaps someone with first-hand knowledge will comment on that aspect. However, I can give you a different perspective than the one I suspect you have, that of someone who grew up in that same time period in the midwest. For me, the 2-step 5th valve was the aberration. The only horns I knew of during that time that had only the 2-step 5th were the Miraphones. Everybody else had either a flat whole-step 5th or one that could be converted either way. The fact that Miraphone now offers the flat whole-step 5th tells me that they see the popularity of that configuration as well.

To me, the flat whole-step makes the most mechanical sense, in that it is easy to quickly incorporate into ones fingering patterns. For example, we use a 5th valve primarily to play the low range in tune because the horn gets progressively sharp the lower you go. Substituting a 5th valve for a 1st valve in any such fingering (using the flat whole-step configuration) will yield the same note but a quarter step lower. Do you see the additive nature of that setup? Conversely, to use a 2-step 5th, you need to have a set chart beforehand that you've worked out. For me, it just isn't as intuitive swapping a 2-3 for a 5th (usually a sharp 2-3). Further, that intuitiveness is something I bank on. Having to adjust pitches in smaller increments, as I sometimes do in an ensemble setting, means that having the combination of a 1-step valve and a 1.25-step valve makes for very quick adjustments of pitches that can't be fixed by simple slide pulling. I can do this on the fly, whatever the situation, because I understand the additive nature of the approach.

I suppose that folks who are a lot more experienced with the 2-step setup probably feel about their horns exactly the way I do about mine. Again, it all comes down to what you understand best, what you are used to, and what works best for you.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: