Re: Need Advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 15, 2003 at 14:10:33:

In Reply to: Need Advice posted by Kevin Robertson on January 15, 2003 at 06:04:23:

If you don't want to fool around with learning a new set of fingerings (Eb, F, or CC), you might consider an even smaller BBb tuba than the one you're using now. You might look into either a Miraphone 184 BBb or a Yamaha 621 BBb (or even the Weril counterpart). These two designs are ones I'm very familiar with in their CC tuba configurations and by all accounts they play pretty much the same in BBb. Obviously, this would eliminate the need to learn a new set of fingerings right away. As soon as the horn was delivered, you'd be ready to pick it up and go.

I will tell you that not everybody feels so comfortable on an Eb tuba in a brass quintet. I'm a devout Eb tuba supporter. All my bass tuba playing is done on Eb, I don't even own an F tuba. Still, I do not use an Eb tuba in the quintet playing I do. I prefer the CC tuba for that but I prefer a smaller instrument. That's why I like the 184 I have.

Hope you find what you're looking for! And thank you for putting your butt on the line in a foreign land for those of us back home. I appreciate it!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: