Re: Re: need some help weighing options

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on January 15, 2003 at 17:55:22:

In Reply to: Re: need some help weighing options posted by Kenneth Sloan on January 15, 2003 at 17:23:43:

I would echoe Dr. Sloan's comments. Finishing a degree of some sort helps prepare you for many things, and opens many doors. People, especially potential employers, will view you differently. Finishing a degree says at least one thing for you--you can persevere.

As to the exact direction you should go, that is a bit more difficult. As has been mentioned many times in this forum, the professional performing world is extremely competitive. You might say there is a glut there. If you have your mind set on a career in music, you will need to consider other areas, as well. Some of these include music education, music sales, recording, etc. The list goes on. If you feel you MUST try performing, be prepared to totally dedicate yourself to it, and be prepared to handle some failures along the way.

Going into the military does provide the option to be a performer, although not quite like the New York Phil, and to help finance the rest of your education as well. There are many pluses and minuses, here. At least you are a performer.

Lastly, another option is to pursue another career altogether. Perhaps one could be chosen which would provide you sufficient cash to perform on the side, and to have the money to have really good equipment to do it. Education is probably not the way to go, however as a school band director I make more money per year than many full-time professional tuba players do. I do quite a bit of playing as a "semi-pro." I use that term to describe one who plays professionally, but is not a full time pro.

As you can see, there are a multitude of options available to you. I would be foolish to even attempt to suggest what would be best for you. I feel like I have been down a similar road to what you are on. If I can be of any help, let me know.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters

Follow Ups: