Re: Re: Re: Re: The E-Bay HOLTON

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JoeS on January 16, 2003 at 12:11:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: The E-Bay HOLTON posted by dp on January 15, 2003 at 19:30:58:

No, I don't think that I over-simplified anything. Auction psycho-babble is just that. One may consider auction psychology, but in the end economics must rule.

Shill-ing is nothing but an attempt at deception, just like other types of purchasing negotiations...and is risky for the seller.

and "no", I don't do it, if you were implying that I might.

On the other hand, at "live" auctions I've been "shilled" before. At a live auction, its always obvious because (unless one is a dolt) one remembers seeing the "shill" and the registered seller of the item chit-chatting before the auction - They invariably are careless in this way. For instance, one time at a "live" auction I was really interested in an electrical "breaker" (fuse) box - impressive - 400 amps - and WITH all of the breakers installed. The lady/shill, who was the wife of the registered seller, thought that she was anonymous (her mistake) and after all of the other bidders dropped out, she was shilling me. I took note of it, ran her bid up to $395 and dropped out. Thus, she had to "buy it" and she and her husband had to take it home - paying the 25% sales commission (plus 8-1/4% sales tax on the entire $395) to the auction house.

Follow Ups: