Re: The E-Bay HOLTON

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 16, 2003 at 14:28:27:

In Reply to: The E-Bay HOLTON posted by DS on January 15, 2003 at 11:33:31:

Value is a hard thing to define, and it is something each person must decide for themselves. For common items, like, say, a Miraphone 186, it's pretty easy to assign value. If an example is priced higher, you can let it go because you'll have plenty of other opportunities to buy one.

But I don't think you can say a horn of any rarity, such as a fine-playing Holton, has a particular value. In terms of rarity, the turnover of four BB-345's in as many months, must rank on a par with five major symphony positions opening up in a two-year period. At $2500, a bunch of people would buy it in a flash. At $3500, a few people would buy it quickly. At $4500, a handful of people would buy it without delay. At $5500, perhaps there would be only one, and the seller would have to be lucky to be offering it at just the instant that one buyer was in a position to buy. One might even find a buyer at $6500 if one was willing to wait for the right buyer to come along.

Dave offered the one I bought, and I bought it within a week of it being offered. That should tell you something about the $4500 price point. I was not the only willing buyer--I just got there first. One reason I bought this Holton was because I could play it first, and assess in person its condition, thus managing what would be, for me, unacceptable risk at this price point for an ebay auction. Another reason was that I had the time to go play it when it was available, which would not have been the case a week earlier or a week later.

One thing I can tell you with utter conviction: The "magic" of the Holton is not hype nor is it a fad. You have not been swept up in something you will regret later. The difference is not subtle, when compared with other fine BBb tubas (and I've played them all). I believe that my Holton, despite the problems with its condition, is one of the finest-playing BBb tubas ever made, and is only matched by some modern CC's (or by custom BBb versions of those CC's, such as the Nirschls you mentioned). Nobody who has tooted it in my presence has failed to have a smile on their lips. I feel extraordinarily lucky to have it. But that doesn't mean it is one of the most well-made BBb tubas--construction quality is marginal in some ways. Also, the valves are no match for Bohm & Meinl (i.e. Nirschl) valves. I'd prefer more nickel in certain spots, and more durable bracing for the fourth-valve tubing, which is rather vulnerable, and the cosmetics are Spartan at best. And there are other things that will come up in time. The modern BAT's try to consistently capture the magic while also rising to standards of construction consistent with the over-$10,000 price point. The Holton's construction does not meet that standard.

If Dave Fedderly's enthusiasm for this instrument is any measure, any orchestra pro who was as willing to play BBb as CC, and who was willing to deal with minor construction issues, would be quite happy to own this Holton.

Rick "who thinks price is an agreement between a buyer and a seller; no more, no less" Denney

Follow Ups: