Re: MP for 189

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris B on January 16, 2003 at 14:56:55:

In Reply to: MP for 189 posted by SHS Tubamaster on January 13, 2003 at 21:02:42:

TU-33 seems a lot like the Bach 24AW in feel to me. Different dimensions but rounded rim and more of a bowl shaped cup. I received one with my 1291 and tried it. Didn't do much for me. After about 15 tries (fortunately Tony E is a mouthpiece junky and let me try a bunch), I found the Laskey 30H sounded the best with the Marcinkiewicz H1 a close second. Both of these are Helleberg variants and quite large as muthpieces go but produce a great resonant sound. Takes some chops to play and both companies make smalle but similar mouthpieces. I am not interested in getting into the whole funnel-bowl debate on cups, just expressing my personal experiences with a larger bore horn.

Prior to this I used Schilke 66 and 67s but they just didn't sound as good as the Laskey or Marc.

I use a combination of how they feel, what I think and then play some for disinterested third parties to see what is coming out of the bell. Everyone has agreeed so far that the Laskey is the best sound. It is comfortable for me, a major compnent of which one is "best" I really don't care what Joe Tuba, the greatest player in history uses as he isn't me. So for me experimentation is the best tool. Toughest thing is to find a group of mouthpieces in one spot to try and they're way too expensive to buy a handful of them and keep only one.

Follow Ups: