Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fixing up an old miraphone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on January 17, 2003 at 16:20:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fixing up an old miraphone posted by C(G) on January 17, 2003 at 14:26:46:

I once had the problem with such an oval hole in the linkage on a bassbone. Part of the problem was, that the non-threaded part of the screw had been worn pretty much.

So for years I had asked my old repairman for a new screw to test, whether that would solve the problem. But he kept telling me, that it would take very much paperwork to get such a screw.

One day I was there I saw, that the drawer with his supply of screws was open. There were maybe hundred small compartments wit a great variety of screws. My eyes immediately centred in on one certain compartment, and I asked, whether I could try one of those screws on the bassbone, which I had brought for a rehearsal close to the shop.

The threading was right, and the screw was perfect for the purpose. It was shaped like a bottle with the threading being the top of the neck. As I understand it, such screws are intended to exactly this purpose of acting as shafts in worn out or re-drilled bearings.

Another noisy point in the old type S-linkages is that of the double T-link. I think that the process, that cunning repairmen can apply is called swedging.

The photo shows the valve section of my pre-1930 Cerveny Kaiser Bariton. The screws intended for the adjustment of the tension of the clock springs can bee seen rather clearly. Lee Stofer mentioned them in an earlier posting on this thread.

Klaus

Follow Ups: