Re: Re: Military Band Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on January 18, 2003 at 22:55:04:

In Reply to: Re: Military Band Question posted by ZH? on January 18, 2003 at 22:33:42:

The Army has 4: Pershing's Own (in DC), the Fife & Drum corps (in DC--and only fife, trumpet(bugle), and percussion), the West Point Academy Band, and the US Army Field Band (Ft. Meade, MD)

Marines have 1: President's Own (in DC)

Navy has 2: the DC Band, and the Academy Band

Air Force has 1, i think: the DC Band. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Coast Guard has 1: in New London, Connecticut.

Jobs are awarded on openings only--someone has to leave their spot. They aren't predicatable, especially for tuba and euphonium. I even think there was a dry spot between sometime in 1998 until 2001 where there wasnt ONE euph job opening in a premier band. I was looking, too, but I may have missed one... And then, since summer of 2001, there has been at least 5 openings! So, you just gotta wait and hope.

When a spot comes up, it is generally only one spot, and competition is pretty rough for it. Anywhere from 30-70 people may apply. Audition procedures differ for the different bands. For the DC Marine Band, for example, you basically just show up and play on the given day. Its crazy. In the Army, u gotta send a tape in first, then be invited to audition based on the tape. Know your exerpts, and make sure you can sight-read!

Good luck!

Follow Ups: