Re: the Harvey Phillips Conn CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill Troiano on January 20, 2003 at 11:40:48:

In Reply to: the Harvey Phillips Conn CC posted by Tim Loehr on January 18, 2003 at 17:44:14:

You had to see it to believe it! In the early 70's, when I was a student a SUNY Fredonia, tuba teacher, Rudy Emilson and I took a State car, and drove to Syracuse where we picked Harvey up at the airport. Then, we drove to SUNY Potsdam where Harvey was to be a guest soloist with the Crane Wind Ens. I was backstage with Rudy and Harvey when Harvey was warming up for the rehearsal with the wind ens. I noticed that his horn wasn't quite the same. It turns out, that his main Conn CC was being overhauled and he was playing on another one that he had, which was just like his main horn. The difference being that this one was heavily tarnished and had no tuning slides. Harvey fashioned tuning slides from rubber hosing with plumbing clamps. He played the Wind Ens. concert, performed a recital, and held a master class all with that tuba. Of course, he couldn't move the slides, but he sounded great anyway.

Follow Ups: