Re: Re: Re: Re: Military Band Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on January 20, 2003 at 17:35:11:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Military Band Question posted by Rick Denney on January 20, 2003 at 16:43:59:

"I suppose you can learn about life anywhere, if you have open eyes and an open mind."

I completely agree, it's where your HEAD is, not where your BUTT is, that brings about that understanding. I strongly suspect that I, like most of my peers, had not yet reached a sufficient level of maturity when I was in college. I could transcend the factual into the theoretical, but could not transcend the theoretical into the practical. And there was nothing in college (maybe one advantage of A&M over UT?) to encourage me to apply my theoretical understanding to the practice of my life. That came after college for me, and for most people I know. It was only when I started trying to pay N dollars in bills with N-1 dollars of income, and when I learned that bosses do not give partial credit, that children (and spouses) come with defective parts and no user's manual, and that lives don't always last 70+ years, that I began to be able to apply all of that literature, history, sociology, theology and economics to MY life. The thing is, I -- like most college students -- felt accountable only for this week's assignment and this semester's notes, and even that accountability usually came with loopholes. I suspect that the military teaches accountability somewhat better.

As for your other comment, about opinions coming only from experience, I'll take that embroidered and hangin' on the wall.

Joe Baker, who still thinks college in and of itself does little to prepare most students for life.

Follow Ups: