Re: Willson &Hirsbrunner BBb tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bilmac on January 21, 2003 at 08:47:15:

In Reply to: Willson &Hirsbrunner BBb tubas posted by Steven on January 20, 2003 at 08:26:47:

I have the top action Hirsbrunner BB flat for about 18 months and love it to bits. I have
had Conn ,new King ,old Cerveny, various Bessons--Imperials and Sovereigns but nothing comes close.The sound is so easy and warm that the instrument almost plays itself.Everyone who has heard it shares my enthusiasm but I think it very much a
band instrument because of the type of sound it makes.It's maybe too warm for orchestral playing.I think orchestral instruments need a little more bite to cut through the dense
texture of an orchesra so I use it for band playing only.I use something else for the little orchestra work I do.The BB flat's modelled off the CC's which in turn derive part of their pedigree from York instruments which might help explain the sort of sound it makes.It's got to be one of the very best Tubas of it's type but cheap it isn't--but it's still worth it to play an instrument of that quality.Haven't tried the Willson though.

Follow Ups: