Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vaughan-Williams Concerto with Jacobs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard Cox on January 21, 2003 at 09:09:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vaughan-Williams Concerto with Jacobs posted by Frank Lee on January 21, 2003 at 00:53:31:

I have, and listen to frequently, 4 different recordings (Yes i know im sad and have nothing better to do).
Phil Catelinet recording done in 1956. First off, remember this would have been done on old recording equipment, probably stereo only, so not the best way to show off the solo-ist. The instrument would also not be up to the standards of those even produced in the 60's. Also dont forget that Phil might have been a good player, but VW probably wrote it for him cos he was with the LSO atthe time, not because it was Phil that would particularly do it justice.

The Arnold Jacobs recording. I dont know when it was recorded as i only have this on cassette. Now carefully copied to CD so it doesnt strech. But based on reading his biographies, i seem to remember something about 1970's. (I'm sure some-one will correct this, along with my spelling.) I cant believe he used his York to perform this, and as be has expressed in the past a liking for the French Besson F of the time, it is not unreasonable to guess that is what he used, once again subject to correction. A better instrument and recording facility than PC but not p to today's standard.
At the risk of incurring wrath from everyone, and i also think AJ was a god, I would place John Flatcher above him on pure Tuba playing. AJ was not only a genious, but also an amazing teacher, and it is that combination of all round skills and it playing that have made him irreplacable, but on pure tuba ability I would put John fletcher above him. JF's recording done at around the same sort of time.

The fourth recording is one done by a swedish player, i forget the name as I was only given a copy of the recording, and probably couldnt pronounce it anyway. It was done about 3 or 4 years ago, with a new perrantucci F 6 valve ( I know this because my brother was the oboeist in the orchestra) and was on modern recording equipment. While a good player, nowhere near AJ or JF standards, yet it is the best recording i have heard so far.

The point is that none of them are the correct versions, or the right or wrong speed or better or worse, they are all different, and bring different things to it.

Personally i think JF is the best, but hey, im english, obviously im gonna say that.

Get the one you like best or all of them, and just enjoy them for what they are, recordings of the greatest concerto of all time, by the gods of their day .

Follow Ups: