Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vaughan-Williams Concerto with Jacobs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on January 21, 2003 at 23:31:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vaughan-Williams Concerto with Jacobs posted by Rick Denney on January 21, 2003 at 21:54:17:

Rick,
I would take your comments on the Besson F at face value because you have a discerning ear. BUT, I have an issue with your designation of the sound of the Besson as "grainy". One of the finest tuba players I have ever had the pleasure to hear, and one totally overlooked on this BBS, is Jeff Arwood. Jeff played in the Army Band for 30 some odd years and did the lion share of his playing on a Besson F. Same horn Mr. Jacob's used, compensating, the whole bit. When I was stationed in Atlanta Jeff came down to rehearse a Camphouse piece for Solo Tuba and Band(name escapes me) that was a real bitch to play. He handled it superbly and later played it with us at TBA in August of 1990. He got a huge, thundering, centered, velvety, rich, focused sound on that that rivaled most players big horns. He sat next to me when we rehearsed the Bourgois Trombone Concerto and he was keeping up with me on an Alex and Lee Stofer on his Hammer-of-the-Gods 5/4 Rudy. The Besson was simply a fabulous instrument, one that in capable hands produced the aforementioned sound. I was able to play on it and found it incredibly easy to play, with a major low register. I can't blame the horn on this occasion. I find the overlying arguments here about this recording to be excuses. Mr. Jacob's had a bad day, was misled by the recording company, and should have barred the recording from being released. While the music is present, the tuba playing detracts enough FOR MY TASTES, to make me not listen to this recording. Maybe the choice of horn was wrong, but maybe nothing would have worked on that particular day and we are left with a recording that is not representative of his playing by any stretch of the imagination. I, for one, am sorry that he is represented like this. I, for one, am enoumously thankful for the hundreds of other recordings that keep the legacy of what he truly was alive. Kudo's to Brian Fredrickson for bringing us Portrait of an Artist. If I had to judge Mr. Jacob's BY THE VW RECORDING alone, I would have to dismiss him entirely. Thankfuly, I don't have to. And yes, to all out there, I have played the VW 3 times, and I had a miserable day on one of them. SHIT HAPPENS.

Chuck Jackson

Follow Ups: