56j design flaws

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pat on January 22, 2003 at 11:31:24:

Well, that got your attention, and maybe ya'll don't agree with what I'm about to say. First things first, I love my horn and I really enjoy playing on it. I'm wondering if other players have had problems with the 5th valve. It seems rather vulnerable to damage in transport since the tuning slide is only braced in two places. Would putting extra braces on the tuning slide help this?
Another thing (here it comes) I can't understand why a modern tuba, where apparently so much energy has gone into for its design, is so damn difficult to hold. I'm not unusually bilt (short arms, big belly, long neck, or anything like that), I'm quite average. If I hold my 56j on my lap, then I've got a 5th valve slide in my gut and a tuba that wants to sag downwards (a well known fenominon with tubas). Furthermore, the 1st valve slide is very difficult to move and still hold the tuba at the same time if you grab it through the tuba. Reaching it around is more stable, but this makes the grip on the 1st almost impossable. Putting the 56j straight up on my left knee is by far the most comfortable as far as balance and my left hand is concerned, but rather unstable in general and a killer for my leg. Right now I use a stand. It might have been preferable to put it straight up in the stand, but again this is not very stable and as well a real stretch for the left leg going around the stand. And of coarse, the more I slant the 56j in the stand (so as to bring the bottom bow closer to the middle of my body) the more it wants to fall over. As well, I run into the same problems with the left hand on the 1st valve slide, worse in fact.
This isn't intended to be a bitch session. I'm curious if someone has thought of something I haven't. Thanks

Follow Ups: