Re: Re: Re: Houston Symphony Cutting Jobs, Salaries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JoeS on January 25, 2003 at 00:23:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Houston Symphony Cutting Jobs, Salaries posted by rupricht on January 24, 2003 at 23:18:38:

Though you love to anonymously chide me regularly, I'll have to agree 100% with your reality check here...

...and I agree that instead of saying "too bad", etc. it would be better to DO SOMETHING...

like being one of those folks who - in amusing ways - exposes children to good music...and maybe someone who writes letters to the editor of their local paper discussing how well the wonderful local symphony orchestra COULD do if it were promoted, booked, presented, and managed effectively... Symphony orchestras are slowly but surely going the way of the "swing bands" of the 1930's and '40's. Apparently "classical" music isn't viewed by many these days as "classic"...

...and I need to be as optimistic about this as I can, as my daughter is entering this field. Reality, however, overshadows optimism. It worries me a bit when I read the endless posts by hundreds of college boys who plan to play their tubas in symphony orchestras when they grow up...and we're paying their state school professors to groom them for those non-existant future jobs.

Those who are in this field must realize that though they "won" their jobs they are not "entitled" to them. Rather, their boss is a group of rich folk that "has an orchestra" (1) for their own amusement and (2) to show it off to their well-to-do out-of-town friends.

...and a thumbs-up to our current President who is having to try to very quickly determine how best to defend our just about "wide-open-borders" country from a bunch of diabolical maniacs.

Joe "whose Mom was named Gertrude" S.

Follow Ups: