Re: No Dents, Scratches, or Dings?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd Morgan on January 26, 2003 at 00:29:19:

In Reply to: No Dents, Scratches, or Dings? posted by Marty Neilan on January 25, 2003 at 23:57:46:

Hi Marty,

I think the secret might be using a hard case 100% of the time. With the first horn I had, it had no dents in it until I went to college and invested in a gig bag. That's when the dents started. Now that I am on horn #5 and I am much wiser, I have switched back to using a hard case 100% of the time. The result, I have no dents in my horn. Now, a hard case can't prevent damage when the horn is in your lap. My horn #2 got a ding in the bell when I put the horn down in a practice room next to another tuba. I couldn't see the mouthpiece of the other tuba and I smacked my bell right on the mouthpiece. The only wear I have on my current horn is on the first valve slide (it's a silver horn). Lee Stofer noticed that I was wearing through the finish on that slide so he polished it and put a spray lacquer over it.

Another problem that I have managed to avoid this time around is scratches due to a wrist watch and/or a belt buckle. I think the general rule there is to just be careful. Scratches will happen.

I hope this helps.

-Todd Morgan

Follow Ups: