Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Houston Symphony Cutting Jobs, Salaries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on January 26, 2003 at 01:12:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Houston Symphony Cutting Jobs, Salaries posted by Barry Guerrero on January 24, 2003 at 18:26:50:

Barry,
I've been chewing on your thoughts, and "houston jobs" comment below (that the Houston economy has been less affected), and I think I can point out a factor that bears on both observations. Yes, Hollywood DOES thrive on hard times. But it is entertainment paid for by the consumer. From their own pockets, many will come up with the money somehow -- even by neglecting basic needs -- for that couple of hours of escape. On the other hand orchestras, if I've been reading this correctly, are suffering a real down-turn in donations, especially corporate donations; and everyone agrees that donations are crucial. So I got to thinking, suppose I ran a company. Business is bad, and I don't have the same amount of cash I had last year, so I can't spend the cash I did last year. So what gets cut? Do I continue to make my contribution to the orchestra and lay off a couple of employees, or do I keep my employees and cut the handout to the orchestra? From the perspective of the employee, I don't need to tell you what MY vote is!

So then I think about Houston. To be honest, I haven't followed the stats in Houston, so I'll take "houston jobs" word for it, and concede that Houston's economy hasn't been as hard-hit as some. But even if there aren't the layoffs that have hit Dallas so hard, the belt-tightening may still have hit, and companies may have been forced to make the decision I've described above.

Just a little something to think about.

Joe Baker, who suspects the arts are a priority to business, but not the highest priority.

Follow Ups: