Re: No Dents, Scratches, or Dings?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on January 26, 2003 at 12:09:48:

In Reply to: No Dents, Scratches, or Dings? posted by Marty Neilan on January 25, 2003 at 23:57:46:

Well, here's another aspect.

I'll preface this by saying this doesn't necessarily apply to a horn less than 10 years old--this is for the 30-and-up "vintage" class. And not necessarily to school-owned horns.

When I see a really beat-up horn that belonged to an individual, I say "now there's a horn that's been really used". So why would someone use a horn a lot? Maybe because it plays really well? That other horn the guy has that looks like it just stepped out of the factory probably plays like a garbage can.

Sure, there are some people who can wreck just about anything, even if it stays in the closet, but I'm encouraged by an instrument that appears as if it's been through hell. Stuff happens--and the more a horn is used, the more stuff happens to it.

One of the local high schools has some pretty nice stuff, including some decent tubas. The Miraphones have been dinged, dented, dropped and refurbed almost to death. On the other hand, there's a like-new Amati 4-valve rotary BBb that looks almost new--and it's at least 10 years old. It's a horrible player. No kid wants to touch it if he has a choice.

Maybe the same thing might apply to people, if there weren't cosmetic surgery and botox injections...

Follow Ups: