Re: Difference BBflat and CC tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc on January 27, 2003 at 09:34:14:

In Reply to: Difference BBflat and CC tubas posted by Temi Daramola on January 26, 2003 at 18:02:27:

Temi,
There have been many threads and heated discussions relating to your question(there could be many flames here). The following are my observations, and I think are the opinions of most on this BBS. Your choice could be narrowed by the type of setting in which you will play. BBb is commonly associated with playing in a band setting. BBb may prove easier for some, as the fingerings are thought of as being better suited for playing in flat keys, as bands do. CC is associated (in the USA) with orchestral playing (but could be used in band as well). Many will say its tone blends better with the orchestra's trombones and may prove to have easier fingerings in sharp keys. EEb and F are bass tubas, lacking the fullness or expansive sound of a contrabass BBb or CC. F is commonly thought of as a solo instrument, as well as to augment the CC in an orchestral setting (high range/solo parts). EEb is certainly used in band. It could be used in orchestra, and can be a great horn for soloing. If I were not a tuba player, and could look at types of tubas without bias, EEb would seem to be the greatest or best compromise. That having been said, I do not play EEb. My compromise is a medium-sized CC. I love to play CC and F, and I also have a BBb. I use them all for different applications. I may buy an EEb 4v sousaphone one day, but that would be the extent of my desire for an EEb. You have to choose what fits you, your style, and the kind of playing you will be doing. I would encourage you to play as many different horns as you can and find the right one. There is a sidebar - the size of the horn. If you are going to play in a brass quintet, you probably don't want a 6/4 monster CC or BBb. Whatever size you get needs to correspond to the setting as well. Good luck.
Doc

Follow Ups: