Re: meinl weston comments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Bradley on January 28, 2003 at 22:33:04:

In Reply to: meinl weston comments posted by matt higgins on January 28, 2003 at 22:14:02:

The 2000 is hands down a better tuba. The 2000 is essentially an improved-upon 2155. The main differences are: the 2000 is silver plated, all of the extra heavy-weight metal that was all over the 2155 was removed, the leadpipe is a more comfortable angle, and the back valve caps are actually acessable, unlike the 2155. Both horns tend to have bad valves that stick a lot.
As for the playability of the horns, the 2155's response and intonation both leave a lot to be desired. Both horns project wonderfully- as good as any tuba of comparable size. The 2000 has a beautiful sound, responds easily, and has much better intonation overall. If you have the money, the 2000 is one of the best tubas out right now. If you only have enough to get a 2155, then I strongly recommend that you look for another instrument in the same price range or even lower. I owned a 2155 for five years, and I can tell you with assurance that therr are superior instruments for the same or less money.

Dan B.

Follow Ups: