Re: Re: Re: playing dry; Pilafian

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Elliott on January 29, 2003 at 10:31:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: playing dry; Pilafian posted by Chuck Jackson on January 28, 2003 at 00:02:07:

Reinhardt's Pivot System is a combination of "rules" that apply differently to each of the several embouchure "types", and individual tailoring of those specific rules. The different embouchure types are CAUSED by occlusions, teeth length, lip height, thickness, etc., but it is not always possible to look at somebody and guess what will will work for them; what's important is what really DOES work for them, and it takes a trained eye to see that, or trial and error the way everybody learns it. He has simply defined what most people learn more or less for themselves. It can be extremely useful to clean up the fine points for a successful player, or fix the problems of an unsuccessful player who just can't get it working.

The "Encyclopedia" is very hard to understand just because it's complicated (unnecessarily so), but I learned a lot from it before I ever studied with him. If you're really interested in it, it's a good place to start. I teach a simpler, more understandable version, which he taught me and encouraged me to teach. He knew he made it more complicated than it needed to be, but he was a very analytical person and wanted to cover all the possibilities.

The Encyclopedia of the Pivot System was originally published by Charles Colin, and I believe the new version, edited by Rich Willey, is also published by Colin.

Follow Ups: